Earlier this week, we offered an infographic that outlines how to reshape the workforce to beat diabetes. As American Diabetes Month nears its end, today we offer a view on what prediabetes testing looks like.
Interactive Health notes that
- 30-39% of Americans are estimated to be living with prediabetes
- An estimated 90% of those with prediabetes are not aware of their risk
- Although more effective, only 25-35% of all those at risk of prediabetes are identified through our targeted A1c testing
- 5-10% of those living with prediabetes progress to chronic diabetes each year
- $1,095 per individual can be saved by stopping prediabetes from progressing to diabetes
- $16,682 in annual costs for those with out of control diabetes
Interactive Health outlines the reasons to offer A1c testing to all: “Clients who chose to expand their program and add A1c testing to all employees through Smarter Testing saw an increase in identification of prediabetes risk 3-5 times greater than other testing methodologies.”
The impact can be seen in improved health outcomes and reduced health costs. With a comprehensive wellness program that includes targeted interventions for those at risk, employers can change the trajectory of employee health and their bottom line:
- Within one year, 35% of Interactive Health members with prediabetes moved to a healthy state.
- Clients see a $2-9 savings for every dollar spent on Smarter Testing. This can be attributed to the successful risk migration of newly-identified members with prediabetes to a healthier state.